Bozeman Trail Steak House
Next Meeting January 11, 2011
Members Present: Ray Pearce, Leonard Pearce Jeff Stoll, , Don Pownell, Dave Loden, Tony Niswender, Bill & Jan Harnish, Erick Elmer, Sharon Gastelum, Dan Fraley, Mike Siegfield, Joe Woods, Layne Qualm
Guests, Tim Recolusa, Len Crites, Brian Boden (USFS), Craig Cope (USFS), and Norman Mullis
President Ray Pearce called meeting to order at 6:57 PM.
Minutes were approved as read: Mike S. 1st and Bill 2nd
Treasurers Report: Balance as of 10/31/2010 is $5,023.72
Len Crites: Introduced himself. He was a PRSB member and groomer for the southern Big Horns for years. He gave the club a run down of how the club inherited the Pole Creek Safety Shelter. Around 1990 the FS asked the club if they wanted to take over the Old Boy Scout Camp, which is the Pole Creek Shelter. The club accepted it and rebuilt it from the ground up including stocking it with everything in it. (Propane Stove and lantern, tables, beds cooking stove, cabinets, pictures and trophy’s)
Craig Cope: In 1990 Bill Nelson, The Dlistrict Ranger, proposed that the Pole Creek Shelter was eventually going to be used as a rental. 2006 the government had a National effort for all govt agencies to start living within their means (such as trails and shelters being rebuilt) There was a formality analysis’ done on the Pole Creek Shelter, it had not been used enough to warrant keeping it maintained for use, so it was decommissioned. It is now being rebuilt and will be used as a rental for income for the FS. It will not be used anymore as a Safety Shelter now or in the future per Craig Cope He returned the trophies, scrapbook, and pictures at the meeting. Ray asked what would happen if someone needed it for emergency, as it is still listed on the Snowmobile maps for 2010 thru 2011 as the Pole Creek Safety Shelter. Craig stated that other FS facilities have been broken into and they do not do anything to the people if it was an emergency.
Web Creek Safety Shelter and Firewood shouldn’t need anymore wood. The steps and stove are in at the Shelter and functioning. Need to get a hatchet to put in it. Sure we will find more we need as time goes on.
Christmas Parade: Our float took 2nd place. Thanks went out to all that helped.
Membership: Dues are past due for both Members and Associates. Need to be paid ASAP.
Grooming and Staking: There’s been a new person hired in Worland to groom the trails this year. The guys did some staking last weekend and need at least one more day of staking to finish. No more then 300 ft apart for stakes, so we will have to go in and put more stakes in place. We have 2 more trails to stake also. Need a lot more plastic stakes to do it. Mike stated there are 2 bundles in the trees at the Webb Crk Shelter area. Ray is going to contact the State Trails Office to ask for more plastic stakes.
Deer Haven Web Cam: Mike has been working on it for Deer Haven. Leonard offered his computer tech’s assistance to help him get it up and running.
Web Page: Jan’s been maintaining it, if someone wants to help.
Jackson Hole Hill Climb: Need Man Power. WSSA stated that if a club will donate a group of people to help, they will help compensate them.
Avalanche Beacon Class: Bill will contact Chris McNeil and try to get something set up for the end of Feb. 2011. Set it up for the Worland Club, Search and Rescue, and PRSB’s.
Misc.: It was approved, 1st by Erik and 2nd by Don P. to give a PRSB windshield sticker to each member. 25 each was handed out. A motion was made by Jan H to have their formal meetings from Oct to May of each year. It was 1st by Jeff and 2nd by Bill H and approved. We will still do our clean up in the summertime months along with any outings that members will be notified of. Tony stated that our Club was invited to a chili feed that is given by the Dubois club this year. Mike S. asked the club to visit the Worland’s club on Face Book.
Safety Shelter The Club asked Craig about building a new Safety Shelter for the East Side of Powder River Pass as there is none now, and Craig stated we would need to talk to Mark Booth as temporary Shelters work well with the FS. Ray stated that he and Leonard would get some things put together on a new Safety Shelter, plus contact Mark Booth.
Activities: The Club will have their Unforgettable Prime Rib Ride Jan 15th. Ray and Leonard will sponsor and everyone that is interested needs to contact them with a head count. Feb 19th ride will be the famous 100 mile ride from Deer Haven to the lodges on the north end. Erik is sponsoring and he needs a count for room reservations at the lodges on the north end. Jan will call Roberta to make reservations ASAP. March’s ride will be determined at the Jan meeting. Leonard offered Ray and his cabin for a hamburger feed and cutting firewood this summer. Erik stated that Wayne mentioned having a hill climb this year at Meadowlark Ski Area. Buffalo Lions Club offered to help sponsor.
Leonard made the motion to adjourn at 8:12 pm Dave L. 1st and Erik 2nd
Jan Harnish, PRSB’s Reporter